Gotta read fast

Like Warren Buffett, the superpower I would like is speed reading. I'm not a fast reader even though I have a lot of (failed) courses, books, apps and everything else behind me. I even took on the frustrations and complexes of a slow reader - because I was aware of how weak I was. That's why I hesitated to call this course a speed reading course. 

Anyway, reading is an important cognitive ability that accompanies us all our lives and visibly contributes to us, so it is a great waste to neglect this topic - especially since it shares similar paths with the "interpreter". I'm probably not far from the truth when I think that there's a big lack of connection (for good reasons) between neuroscience and the "magic" of speed reading. If this blog isn't about connecting science and magic, I don't know what is about. 

The specific goal of this course is not just how to read fast, but all about understanding reading and how to improve it to the point of reading effortlessly. 

Therefore, it is necessary to understand how reading works, what we know and what we still don't know, and to sense how effortless reading can be learned by ANYONE

As for me, I'd rather read a book with every possible piece of information about reading and come up with the exercises myself, than have a book with every possible exercise and fantasize about the theory. 

All in all, during this course I will also write how I practice, but keep in mind that I don't perscribe recipes, just connect the dots and apply some practicing methodology. And of course, there we have people who read fast, and I don't (😑). Which is about to change because I'm on the right track*. I like that I'm the worst case: I practiced for a long time different courses and exercises, but got nothing, and now I've found out what the problem is. I guess we will exploit this opportunity more.

 *(update and spoiler alert: it did change. I just didn't want to delete what I wrote 6+ months before embarking on this jurney)

Easy reading is connecting the magic of neuroscience with speed reading

After a while, I was able to make it easier to read. Now I have no problem sitting and reading for an hour without stopping with a fairly easy understanding. 😌 While I was researching and experimenting, I came up with a couple of fairly simple and easy exercises that don't need any supernatural beliefs to work, nor the anthropomorphization of the brain ("your brain will find this exercise strange and tiring at first, and then after X weeks get used to and perfect, then improve reading..."). 

It also fascinates me that I keep coming up with exercises and there seems to be no end to the ways in which reading can be improved, easier, faster. Moreover, I start criticizing, even asking "omg why?" to the exercises I came across. 

Well, at the end of this reading, you will see how most of the exercises in speed reading courses do not make sense, or are unrelated to reading itself, where they do not teach speed reading, but draw from: 

"you already know, ie. you have a good structure of neural networks and we will use it. And these others, well... convince them that they can. Well, whatever. And if not, then tell them they need to practice more and wait for it to accumulate (until they give up).

Okay, maybe I'm caricaturing a bit, but it's true to some extent. Still, I hate when I have to do everything myself!!?!

I warn you that this course might be long or too technical - but if you don't understand, skip it. In all honesty, this is a text I wish I had come across 10 years ago. And I still hope to add to it and make it as precise and accurate as possible for someone who needs it today, and not to wait 10 years and finally write it himself, like I'm now. 

Of course, there is also the fact that understanding is improved by explaining.

Comments